Requirements and Procedures for Chinese Visa Application(Mainland only)

2023-03-28 00:17

Step I.  Choose the appropriate visa category that best describes the main purpose of your visit to China

Step II. Prepare the basic documents :

(1) Passport

Original passport with at least six months of remaining validity and blank visa pages, 

and a printed photocopy of the passport's data page and the photo page if it is separate.

(2) Visa Application Form and appointment

1.Fillinthevisaapplicationformonline(,andprintoutthe complete applicationform, then signtheconfirmationpageandtheninthpartoftheapplicationform.


3. Please prepare the application form and materials according to this notice and come to the embassy at the appointed time. If the physical documents do not meet the requirements or not sufficient, the application may be returned.No preliminary review required.

(3) Photo

A recently-taken color passport photo (bare-head, full face, against a light background) .

(4) Proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)

If you are not applying for the visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid residence permit of stay, residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal staying provided by the relevant authorities of the country where you are currently staying.

(5) Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous visa for China (Mainland only) (applicable to foreign citizens who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship)

If you are applying for visa for China (Mainland only)for the first time, you should provide your previous Chinese passport held and a photocopy of its data page.

If you have obtained visa for China (Mainland only) before and want to apply for a visa for China (Mainland only) with a renewed foreign passport that does not containany visa for China (Mainland only), you should present the photocopy of the previous passport's data page and the photo page if it is separate, as well as the previous visa for China (Mainland only) page. (If your name on the current passport differs from that on the previous one, you must provide an official document of name change.)

(6) For visa processing time and fees, please click here.

Step III. Prepare supporting documents where applicable:

C Visa

A letter of guarantee issued by a foreign transport company or an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity in China

D Visa

The original and photocopy of the Confirmation Form for Foreigners Permanent Residence Status issued by the Ministry of Public Security of China.

We kindly remind you that:

Holders of D Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people's governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners' residence permits.

F Visa

An invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China. The invitation should contain:

(1) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, passport number, date of birth, etc.)

(2) Information on the planned visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)

(3) Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

G Visa

An onward air (train or ship) ticket with confirmed date and seat to the destination country or region.

J1 Visa

Visa Notification Letter issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China and an official letter issued by the media organization for which the journalist works.

Applicants should contact the press section of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate General in advance and complete relevant formalities.

We kindly remind you that:

Holders of J1 Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people's governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners' residence permits.

J2 Visa

Visa Notification Letter issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China or other authorized units in China and an official letter issued by the media organization for which the journalist works.

Applicants should contact the Polictical section of the Chinese Embassyin advance and complete the required formalities.

L Visa

1.Documents showing the itinerary including air ticket booking record (round trip to China) and proof of hotel reservation (with the applicant's name), etc.

Or an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or Chinese individual in China and inviter's Chinese ID photocopy. 
The invitation letter from China should contain, and please checkthe attachment at the end of this notice for pattern: 

A. Information on the applicant (full name, gender, passport number, date of birth, etc.) 

B. Information on the planned visit (arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, etc.) 

C. Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

2.Bank deposit certificate of the applicant.

M Visa

(1) An invitation letter issued by a trade partner in China, or trade fair invitation or other invitation letters issued by relevant entity or individual. The invitation letter should contain:

a) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, passoprt number, date of birth, etc.)

b) Information on the planned visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place to be visited, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)

c) Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

(2)A photocopy of the Business License of the inviter in China.

(3)Photocopies of the Business License of the applicants company in Jamaica and the page of the License having full name of the applicant printed or an Introduce letter from the employer.


Q1 Visa

For family reunion, the following documents are required:

(1) An invitation letter issued by a Chinese citizen or a foreign citizen with a Chinese permanent residence permit who lives in China. The invitation letter should include,and please checkthe attachment at the end of this notice for pattern::

a) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, passport number, date of birth, etc.)

b) Information on the visit ( purpose of visit, intended arrival date, place(s) of intended residence, intended duration of residence, arrival and departure dates, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)

c) Information on the inviting individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of legal representative or the inviting individual, etc.)

(2) Photocopy of Chinese ID of the inviting individual or foreign passport and permanent residence permit.

(3) Original and photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) showing the relationship of family members between applicant and inviting individual.

"Family members" refers to spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law.

For foster care, the following documents are required:

(1)Foster entrustment notarization issued by Chinese Embassies/Consulates General in foreign countries or Foster Care Power of Attorney notarized and authenticated in the country of residence or in China

(2)Original and photocopy of both parent's passport(s), as well as the original and photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) notarized and authenticated certification showing the relationship between parents or guardians and children.

(3) A letter of consent on foster care issued by the trustee living in China who has agreed to provide foster care services and a photocopy of the ID of the trustee.

We kindly remind you that:

Holders of Q1 Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people's governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners' residence permits.

Q2 Visa

(1) An invitation letter issued by a Chinese citizen or a foreign citizen with a Chinese permanent residence permit who lives in China. The invitation letter should contain,and please checkthe attachment at the end of this notice for pattern::

a) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, passport number, date of birth, etc.)

b) Information on the visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, the length of stay, want single or multiple entry, relations between the applicant and the inviting individual, financial source for expenditures)

c) Information on the inviting individual (name, contact number, address, signature etc.)

(2) Photocopy of Chinese ID or foreign passport and permanent residence permit of the inviting individual.

(3) A photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) showing the relationship of family members between applicant and inviting individual, if the applicant wants to apply for a multiple-entry visa.

R Visa

The applicant should submit relevant certification in accordance with relevant regulations, and meet the relevant requirements of the competent authorities of the Chinese government on high-level talents and individuals with special skills that are much needed in China,

S1 Visa

(1) An invitation letter from the inviting individual (a foreigner who stays or resides in China for work or studies) which contains, and please checkthe attachment at the end of this notice for pattern::

a) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, passport number, date of birth, etc.)

b) Information on the visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place of intended residence, relations between the applicant and the inviting individual, financial source for expenditures, etc.)

c) Information on the inviting individual (name, contact telephone number, address, signature, etc.)

(2) A photocopy of the inviting individual's passport and residence permit in China.

(3)Original and photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) showing the relationship of immediate family members between applicants and inviting individual.

"Immediate family members" refers to spouses, parents, sons or daughters under the age of 18, parents-in-law.

We kindly remind you that:

Holders of S1 Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people's governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners' residence permits.

S2 Visa

For visiting family members for a short period, the following documents are required:

(1)An invitation letter issued by the inviting individual (a foreigner who stays or resides in China for work or studies)  which contains, and please checkthe attachment at the end of this notice for pattern::

a) Information on the applicant (full name, gender, passport number, date of birth, etc.)

b) Information on the visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, relations between the applicant and the inviting individual, financial source for expenditures, etc.)

c) Information on the inviting individual (name, contact telephone number, address, signature, etc.)

(2) A photocopy of the inviting individual's (a foreigner who stays or lives in China for work or studies) passport and residence permit in China.

(3)A Photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate or notarized certification of kinship) showing the relationship of family members between the applicant and the inviting individual.

"Family members" refers to spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law.

For private affairs, documentation identifying the nature of the private affairs should be provided as required by the consular officer.

X1 Visa

(1) Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter issued by a school or other entities in China.

(2) Original and photocopy of "Visa Application for Study in China" (Form JW201 or Form JW202).

We kindly remind you that:

Holders of X1 Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people's governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners' residence permits.

X2 Visa

Original and photocopy of Admission Notice issued by a school or other entities in China.

Z Visa

One of the following documents:

(1) Foreigners Employment Permit of the People's Republic of China issued by Chinese government authorities for Human Resources and Social Security (Original and Copy).

(2) Permit for Foreign Experts Working in China issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts (Original and Copy).

(3) Registration Certificate of Resident Representative Offices of enterprises of foreign countries(regions) issued by Chinese authorities of industrial and commercial administration(Original and Copy).

(4) An approval document for commercial performances issued by the Chinese government authorities for cultural affairs or Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Entity and <Approval of Short-term Employment For Foreigners Working in P.R China>(Original and Copy).

(5)Letter of Invitation to Foreigners for Offshore Petroleum Operations in China issued by China National Offshore Oil Corporation(Original and Copy);

If you have any question, you can consult us first.

We kindly remind you that:

Holders of Z Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people's governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners' residence permits.

An official letter issued by the media organization for which the journalist works

Applicants must contact the press section of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate General, or the relevant press authorities in China in advance and complete the required approval formalities.

Special Reminders

(1) The invitation letter may be in the form of fax, photocopy or computer printout, but the consular officer may require the applicant to submit the original of the invitation letter.

(2) If necessary, the consular officer may require the applicant to provide other proof documents or supplementary materials, or require an interview with the applicant.

(3) The consular officer will decide on whether or not to issue the visa and on its validity, duration of stay and number of entries in light of specific conditions of the applicant.

(4) Anybody who come to China for work, study, family reunion, long term family visit, permanent residence or as resident foreign journalist, shall be required to apply for Z, X1, Q1, S1, D, J1 visa accordingly before entering China.

Further questions, please send emails to

Attachment:中国签证邀请函参考模板.pdf (it is an English version)

Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Jamaica All Rights Reserved

Address: 8 Seaview Avenue, Kingston 10 Tel:(1876) 9273871 Fax:(1876) 9276920